After a long wait, there is finally a new Via release, Via 1.8. It comes with a long list of major improvements and new functionality:
- Agents vs. Vehicles: A major change is the strict differentiation between agents and vehicles, as it is performed by MATSim since a few months. This helps to better visualize and analyze some more advanced usages of MATSim like the simulation of shared vheicles, taxis or mini busses. In additition, several analyses got adapted as well, for example the Select Link Analysis which can now analyze either the routes of vehicles, or of the passengers inside — a very interesting option to analyze public transport.
- Managing Attributes: The way how additional attributes for agents, vehicles, links and so on are managed got streamlined and simplified, while at the same time enhanced with new functionality. Layer’s like “Dynamic Link Attributes”, “Network Difference” or “Vehicle Occupancy” which just provided additional attributes are thus no longer available, with the functionality now integrated in a much cleaner way. In Addition, attributes can now have their own settings, enabling e.g. the link speed attribute to support custom units like km/h or mph instead of MATSim’s default meters per second.
- Aggregate Vehicles to Links: A new powerful attribute for links allows to create customized aggregations of vehicles’ attributes upon network links. This allows to find out the average age of drivers on a link, the total seating capacity offered on links by public transport vehicles, and similar values.
- XY Plotter can now visualize lines and areas, and even animate these to create complex, data driven animations. With the addition of displaying XY data relative to the viewing area instead of in a spatial coordinate system, custom overlays now offer great possibilities for enhanced visualizations.
- Map Backgrounds now support transparent map tiles, e.g. as overlays over existing visualizations.
- Movie Recorder brings a heavily improved MP4 (H.264) encoder as well as Apple ProRes as new encoding format, optimally suited for post processing Via videos.
These are just the top highlights of the new release. For the full list of changes and improvements, have a look at Via’s manual as well as the upcoming series of short videos about the new features in Via 1.8.
Please note: Due to the major changes, for the first time in Via’s history, we cannot make any guarantees that via-files created with older versions of Via can be successfully opened in Via 1.8. We apologize for the inconvenience this might pose.
This video tutorial presents the following topics:
- The heavily improved XY Plotter
- Custom symbols, to be used in the XY Plotter
- Triangular grid for Aggregator
In this short screen recording, the following features are presented:
- The new emissions plugin
- Improved visualization on top of Web Maps
- Improved visualization options for shape files
In this video, we show you how the new label-feature in Via 1.7 for nodes, facilities and vehicles can be used to easily create visualizations that are immediately understandable.
We’re happy to announce the immediate availability of our newest version of Via! The new Via 1.7 brings a number of much requested features along with performance and user interface improvements:example visualization in Via 1.7
- Networks can now manage arbitrary node attributes and display them as node labels.
- Vehicles can display any agent attribute as label.
- Facilities offer much advanced display settings, including the possibility to base the style of facilities on facility attributes and display labels as well.
The three points above allow for much advanced and informative visualizations, as can be seen on the right.
- Improved XY Plotter: The XY Layer offers many more symbols out of the box, allows users to use custom symbols, and supports rotation of symbols.
Triangular grid aggregation: Next to the aggregation on rectangular and hexagonal grids, Via 1.7 introduces a triangular grid for aggregation.
Emissions: A new plugin supports the analysis and visualization of emission events as calculated by MATSim’s emission extension. analyzing emissions in Via 1.7
- Faster file saving: Saving and loading *.via-files was heavily optimized. Especially large scenarios should now save and load considerably faster.
- Support MATSim 0.8.0: The upcoming release of MATSim contains some major changes to Events. Via 1.7 supports the changed events’ attributes.
Furthermore, the user interface was improved in many places, standardizing dialogs and offering “Apply” buttons in many places. Visualizing data on top of Web Map Backgrounds no longer shows distortations near the edges, but perfectly matches your data onto the maps. Id Sets can be defined using filter expressions (like “pt_*” or “taxi_*”) to quickly and easily define agent groups based on common characteristics of the agent ids. Vehicle Occupancy is now available for all vehicles like taxis or ride-sharing vehicles, and not only for public transport vehicles.
Download the newest version of Via now!